Wednesday, December 11, 2013

sketchbook :: lessons in sketching

Last spring I treated myself to Cathy Johnson's Mini Art Class on Ink and Wash. This is a technique I have admired in Kate's and others' sketches, and have attempted myself from time to time, so I was eager to take advantage of another one her wonderful courses. And even though I love the effect of line combined with watercolor wash, I have always been a little intimidated by drawing in ink. I had worked through several of Kate's exercises in the course but my head just wasn't in the right place to devote my attention to something different. Now lately, I have been rethinking my approach to my sketchbooks and I revisited the Ink and Wash lessons. The timing was better. Kate's wise and gentle approach to teaching resulted in one of those "a-ha" moments. I grabbed my pen, travel watercolor set and sketchbook and settled into my comfortable chair with a cup of tea nearby and sketched Kiddo's Santa hat sitting before me. It was a pleasure to just let the line wander about the paper until it found the form. A quick dash of color and the hat came alive. Sometimes it's more about what is left out, what you let go. Thank you Kate, for your inspired teaching!

9 comments:

Laure Ferlita said...

Isn't it a wonderful feeling, even though pen is permanent, to just let the pen flow and do its thing and then to see the color make it come alive!?!

Great hat! And good for you for persevering!

Timaree said...

It looks terrific. The pen is so light it almost doesn't even show but it's a good support for the drawing. Love your shadows in the hat too.

Autumn Leaves said...

Ink and color washes are just fabulous, Ann. I love art and its many mediums but I think this one is close to the top. I often wish I could jump that pencil to pen hurdle. This is Santa hat is a joyful delight!

Shirley said...

I agree that your pen line is so light that it doesn't distract - but just adds charm to this painting. Love the hat!

martinepittet said...

Lovely and lively combination of ink and watercolour !

Debbie Nolan said...

Ann - this is a lovely piece. I do so love ink and watercolor wash - it can be so fresh looking and yours certainly is...fear not my friend - that ink looks like it is your friend. Have a lovely day creating.

Jennifer Rose said...

lovely red :D

ink and watercolours go so well together, and your lines here are ot too dark as to be distracting

Polly Birchall said...

You couldn't improve on this it's lovely.

Dan Kent said...

I love this! It's very powerful seeing the hat alone like that.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin