Friday, July 29, 2011

Progress

I have made some progress on my latest colored pencil piece. I still have the breaking waves and water washing the sand, as well as the sand itself, to tackle. The waves will be challenging in that it was a very "flat" morning so they are small, subtle ripples instead of the bigger, splashing surf that I have done in the past. I also see now that I would like to darken some of those clouds and I am not entirely happy with the water to the right of the sunlight's reflection. But it usually works best for me to get everything up to a level of completion and then go back and do the fine tuning. The scene is from an early morning at the Outer Banks. Sure do wish I could be there now, putting my toes in the water. Lately, it has been hot for us here in our mountains. Has it been hot where you are? Let's go then.

19 comments:

MaryO said...

To my eye, it's exquisite already, Ann. It's hard to imagine how you can get such perfection from colored pencils!

bettyfromtexas said...

It is so lovely! The light on the water is terrific!

debra morris said...

Looking good Ann,great work. It's hot here too (although cooled to under 30 yesterday ) I'll definitely be coming with you and want to dive straight in, it looks so inviting!

Dan Kent said...

It's amazing - it's like the lifting of a veil. Just beautiful.

Autumn Leaves said...

Looking absolutely stunning so far, Ann! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Oh, that water is gorgeous! And I love the Thoreau quote in the corner of your blog. I always thought seeds carried such magic... Can't wait to see more of this painting!

Shirley said...

I'm in awe of your ocean and reflection. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Teresa Mallen said...

When the image popped up on my screen I went ooooooooh - love that sparkly bit!!! Looks great and yes, we all want to go there! :-)

Sandra said...

You are so good!

Valley Art Project said...

Just lovely, can't wait to see it finished!

meegan said...

you're waves are extraordinary. you inspire me to give coloured pencils more of a chance. it's such a primary school medium to me that I guess I need to break free from that thinking. :P

Cathy Holtom said...

Beautiful light reflection, love it!

Jennifer Rose said...

this is wonderful! the lighting on the water is so well done :)

Melliott said...

It's so interesting to see how people work in different media. I'm used to watercolor, where you work all over the page at once, and go from extremely loose and washy to details at the end. To see your pencil piece progress in what I would consider completed sections from the top to the bottom is really different. Beautiful light on the water.

nanke's stuff said...

It's really amazing! The water is just stunning with the reflections, waves, and variety of colors. And the sky is so beautiful. It's just wonderful! nancy

Unknown said...

The light on the water is so beautiful, Ann - and yes...hot and miserable, and I'd love to head to the OBX right about now!

Ann said...

Gosh, thanks everyone for your very kind and supportive comments!

Sara Light-Waller said...

Absolutely gorgeous Ann. I hope you will consider posting a step-by-step tutorial when you finish it. It would be wonderful to hear how you created such a lovely piece. :-)

Alex said...

This is simply awesome!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin