Tuesday, November 19, 2013

At Tatum Cabin

At Tatum Cabin
watercolor
7.5 x 9.5 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

This is one of those paintings that I could work on forever. I was interested in having a juxtaposition of loose, washy, areas with more developed, rendered spots. I think I got there so I am calling it finished now before I overdo it.

Last month while visiting our local Heritage Festival at Hickory Ridge Homestead here in Boone, I spotted this scene in one of the cabins. There are several cabins at this living history site and on this day folks were dressed in period costumes and available for demonstrations and talks on life in these mountains during Revolutionary War times. While the guide in Tatum Cabin was explaining the structure and the families that lived there I was captivated by the preparations she had laid out for a mid-day meal. The simple wooden bowl containing tomatoes and leeks and the woven towel she had been using casually laying along side were stunning in the sunlight coming through the cabin's small window. She may have though it odd that I was so busy capturing this display with my camera but I am glad that I did, as I was able to glean enough from my dark and fuzzy photos to make this painting.

5 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

This came out beautifully, Ann. I love this and the whole homey feel of it is amazing. So warm and inviting. I hope you do more like this one!!

Debbie Nolan said...

Ann - this is gorgeous. I am so glad you were able to get photos. I love the homey feel that this painting gives. Thanks so much for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oh wow! This is wonderful! The sunlight on the fabric is so well done. The whole composition just has a warm, cozy feel and works so nicely!

Celia Blanco said...

Your work is beautiful and I love this still life. I'm happy to have found your blog!

Jennifer Rose said...

lovely lighting!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin