Monday, May 5, 2014

sketchbook :: it's magic

Here are some sketches I intended to post much earlier than now, but life, you know, sometimes gets in the way.
Back in March I saw Laura Frankstone's wonderful sketches with Koh-i-noor's Magic Pencils. I was so intrigued that I ordered a few for myself, and they are fun! Not being able to resist adding splashes of paint to my sketches, I discovered that the Magic Pencils are waxy enough to act as a resist to watercolor paint.
I suppose one could be careful to control the color when drawing with the marbled multi-colored lead of these pencils. However, I enjoy the delightful surprise of a new color that changes - like magic- every time you draw a line.

7 comments:

Timaree said...

Pretty pictures. Interesting idea to mix watercolor with the pencil sketch. I'll have to try it and see how I like it. It seems to make a vibrant rather than static picture as ink or regular pencil does when mixed with paint.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Ann - very lovely Forsythia. Ours didn't bloom much at all this year...spring's ups and downs killed the blossoms. So glad you shared. Have a great day.

Polly Birchall said...

Lovely sketch of a beautiful spring flowers.

Jennifer Rose said...

great sketches :D

going to have to see about using these pencils, they look like fun :)

Autumn Leaves said...

Absolutely beautiful and fresh spring flowers in your journal, Ann! I'm finally starting to see flowers around here!

Laure Ferlita said...

It looks like you had fun! Love the combination of the paint and pencil.

I'm fairly certain I have one of those pencils tucked away somewhere and I've been looking for it...

Celia Blanco said...

Beautiful sketches, the pencils gave you great results! I will look for them.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin