Monday, December 15, 2014

sketchbook :: fruit

I didn't intend to be away so long from posting. I have been filling my sketchbook and here are two to share. They are both watercolor only, done in my Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook.
The jury is still out on whether or not this will be sketchbook that I will stick with for future use. As you can see, the paper buckles a bit, which I am sure is due to my soupy washes. I don't mind that so much as it is a sketchbook after all. However the further I work into the book the more difficult it is for the pages to lay flat while I am working.And the paint does tend to sit on top of the paper, which requires me to adjust my painting application. Again, not a deal breaker, yet something to consider. I have one more commercially made sketchbook to try before I give up and return to my hand made sketchbooks again.
And here is a sneak peek at my current painting in progress. Still thinking about trees. I am most happy with that tree trunk in the foreground. We'll see if this little study develops into a finished work.

6 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

These are lovely sketches. I think it's very hard to find a book that doesn't buckle when you do washes. I have a Zeta version, which I am not entirely happy with.

Autumn Leaves said...

As always, the sketches are awesome, Ann. That WIP, however, is shaping up to be stunning! Can't wait to see more!

Jennifer Rose said...

do you not tape your bigger work down to stretch and stop curling?

Ann said...

Thanks for the comments!
Jen, the first two are in a sketchbook, so the paper just does that. The larger, finished paintings that I do are usually worked on watercolor blocks, as this one is. Easier than stretching and taping paper :-)

Jennifer Rose said...

much easier than having to stretch the paper, def. going to get some for future projects :)

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh this is awesome! Your trees look excellent!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin