Monday, November 30, 2015

sketchbook :: there was this feast

Thanksgiving at our house involves food, yes, and many hours spent sketching and painting with watercolors. It's a routine we fell into many years ago and one that has stuck around ever since. Our table holds an array of items used in still life, paints, palettes, and brushes, until it's swept away to set for a meal. And all the while food is being prepared for the big feast. As I worked on the sketch above I had to relinquish the cranberries for making the sauce before I was finished painting.
The day following Thanksgiving we make our annual visit to a nearby Christmas tree farm to select our tree. This year was quite warm for late November but the light still betrayed the season. I love the softness of November's colors and the long afternoon shadows.

There were more sketches done over the long weekend but these two are my favorites. I enjoy looking back through my sketchbooks and seeing all of the Thanksgiving sketches done each year and remembering the wonderful time we had and the delicious meals. These were both done in watercolor only in a 7.5 x 9.5 Strathmore 500 series mixed media art journal.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin