Friday, April 11, 2008

New project - because of the starfish

Because of the sea shell and the starfish, and other natural objects I have drawn in the past, I have embarked on a new project. This new project is to fill a journal with nature study drawings and related quotations.

The blue sketchbook journal you see pictured is my small hand.book journal that I have been using exclusively for Everyday Matters sketches. I have had the small leather bound journal just sitting here waiting to be used yet I hadn't figured out exactly to what purpose. Until I drew the starfish. Then it hit me that I could dedicate this little sketchbook to intimate drawings from nature. Now, I also have a larger 9x9 inch Aquabee sketchbook that I use when doing nature studies with kiddo. And a 9x12 inch Aquabee sketchbook that I keep for more experimental and learning exercises. When do you have too many sketchbooks?
I dusted off my worn copy of Annie Dillard's Pilgrim At Tinker Creek. A treasured book that seems a most appropriate companion to this project. I read this book a lifetime ago, while in college and living in Cincinnati. I enjoyed the book then but at the time would never have guessed the turns my life would take to now. I opened the book this time to discover a setting in the Blue Ridge Mountains, much like where I now live, and worlds away from a Midwestern city.


So here are the first pages. Quotes are from Pilgrim At Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard. Drawings are graphite, mechanical pencil. The journal is a 4 x 6 inch Winsor & Newton. With the coming of spring and more time spent outdoors I am really looking forward to having this small journal along to record all the little treasures just waiting to be discovered. And if I am stuck inside I have plenty of natural objects available around the house, on windowsills, in bowls and baskets, tucked among books on bookshelves, we are a family of collectors.

16 comments:

Alan said...

I am looking forward to watching the progress.

MILLY said...

Glad to see you are getting inspired by nature, Looking forward to seeing your lovely detailed work. Love that brown journal with the buttons...I want one.

Anita Davies said...

In my opinion...You can NEVER have too many sketchbooks! LOL!
This is going to be a beautiful journal, the paper is lovely to work with I know, I have one I used in Paris Disney, the size makes it easy to carry around too!
Looking fwd to you filling it!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Lovely work...hey did you get that piece of welk shell off my back porch:>

seesue said...

A Most Excellent Idea Maestro! I'm buckling in ready to enjoy your journey into nature: up close and personal.

Ann said...

Alan - thanks, I believe it will be a fun, ongoing project.
Milly - I appreciate your comments. It is a cool little journal. Smoother paper than I'm used to but kind of nice.
Anita - I appreciate your comments. And I can see where collecting and filling sketchbooks could become an addiction!
Margaret - thanks. I can't resist the shapes of these shells, even the worn fragments.
Sue - thanks for stopping by and your encouragement!

juj said...

I read that book in college too, and thoroughly enjoyed it. thanks for reminding me of it. you're project is a beautiful tribute. Ms. Dillard would be proud. I love your starfish below too. It's easy to see why it inspired you.

Margaret Ann said...

What a wonderful adventure...such a treasure you will have! Can't wait to see more! :)

Belinda Lindhardt said...

oooh wow Ann thats a great idea. I have a sketch book sitting here i have been reluctant to start on. Maybe a themed book will give me a bit of direction, i just need to think of a theme.

I am looking forward to seeing yours.

Great work so far.

Ann said...

Juj, Margaret Ann, and Belinda thank you so much for your comments.
You all are very encouraging!

Lynn said...

What a good idea! Your nature drawings are wonderful and deserving of that pretty little journal.

Ann said...

Thanks Lynn!

Sandy said...

Lovely idea, and NO you cannot have too many sketchbooks, I tend to keep one at a time to keep my thoughts in order - I am using the hand.book now but find it too absorbent and the W&N one is fabulous but cannot take a lot of WC - nothing is perfect it seems.

Sharon said...

This is a wonderful idea. I love that book, too. I look forward to seeing more of these sketches!

Mary Rogers said...

Such a lovely idea! Your journals will be great keepsakes.

Ann said...

Thanks Sandy, Sharon and Mary!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin