Thursday, June 19, 2008

Paying Attention

graphite in small Winsor Newton sketchbook
quote by Annie Dillard from Pilgrim At Tinker Creek


I've been busy lately but not with art work. Some free-lance design work that I actually get paid for and then the other stuff of life thrown in just to keep me on my toes has been occupying almost all of my time lately. So I decided I'd post this little drawing I did in my nature journal while on my beach vacation last month.

Although getting away and having a break from the usual routine is refreshing, I find I am growing impatient to get back to my art work. We've been taking care of projects around the house, and the free-lance work is good for my pocket book, but I've had a sense of not being in balance. I believe it is coming from missing the time I would be spending drawing, because when I am drawing I am really focusing on something. It's a sustained attention that helps me stay balanced for all the other hectic times throughout the day. And until now I didn't realize how important that routine of drawing was to maintaining my sense of balance.

My calendar tells me that tomorrow is the summer solstice. The days will no longer expand, but begin to grow ever so slightly shorter. A time of turning inward. I am ready. I need to remind myself to pay attention more.




6 comments:

MILLY said...

Nice to catch up on your blog Ann and see your lovely nature drawings. The mermaids purse is something I often find and like to draw.I fully understand what you are saying, it is important to draw, but finding time is sometimes hard, when so many other things compete for your time.

Kathleen said...

Love your sketches I had to research mermaids purse --how fascinating they are -thanks for posting such an interesting sketch - & I am jealous of your wonderful finds at Cheap Joes -

Anetka said...

I really enjoy reading your blog.
I love your beautiful artwork, will be coming back often:)
thanks for sharing:)

Elflling said...

I started to subscribe to this blog a while ago and since then grew ever more interested in it. The artworks' wonderful and the quotes from your nature journal are also excellent. It is a blog I not only enjoy seeing but actually like reading as well!

Ann said...

Thank you all so much for stopping by and leaving such kind comments!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you around again. I'm now looking forward to summer & the days that I don't have to drive home from work in the dark. I enjoy your blog very much. You're as interested in colour as I am.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin