Monday, September 7, 2009

Something that has scared me

I know there are a lot of things in this world that are truly scary. Things that we should be frightened by. But these innocent looking fish are what I chose for Everyday Matters challenge #239, draw something that has scared you. (I found the photo reference on Wet Canvas, from Gallery318.) Sure, fish are supposed to be calming, beautiful to look at even, but they give me the creeps. I don't want to swim with fish. I do, however, enjoy eating fish. Just as long as someone else has done the hard work of catching and cleaning it beforehand.

Maybe it's because fish tanks were always a part of the doctor and dentist's office decor when I was growing up that I learned to mistrust fish. Or that when I was really young we had a small aquarium in our home, with guppies. The guppies quickly multiplied. I named each and every one "Charlie". Well, I was only 4 or 5 at the time. Then one of the original Charlies ate all the other Charlies. It was devastating. When Kiddo wanted a fish I made it clear that I would have nothing to do with its care. She was probably 4 or 5 at the time. So the Professor bought a small tank and a couple of gold fish. Kiddo was devastated when one of the fish died. Late one evening the second fish leaped out of the tank and I had to be the one that discovered it dead on the floor. How gross. Had to get the Professor to perform last rites for that one. Fish are just creepy.

12 comments:

Alex said...

Aww thank you Ann! ^^ I am sorry for being away for so long too. Thank you so much for your brilliant words on my wedding invitation card post, Tanna would be jumping up and down with joy after reading that. Because I tried really hard to make the card works for everyone, and it seems like it did(still not too sure how the conservative folks in Louisiana would take it though), but we will see.
Thanks for your comments on my Show Lo sketch too. I guess when I said I was lazy, it actually meant I rushed while doing it ^^

This is an interesting post actually. Fish ARE creepy!!!! I totally agree with you, and I am terrified of anything that's bigger or longer than 5ft swimming in water >.< Anyway, this is still a terrific drawing, and it actually has a bit of "chinesey" touch to it :)

caseytoussaint said...

I agree - the worst are the one's you would win at the firemen's fare and take home in a little plastic bag - only to find them floating upside down a couple of days later in whatever container you put them in
I love your painting though...

Margaret said...

Another person in agreement! It is when they brush by you unexpectedly and unseen that I hate. You have given that white fish a devilish expression, just like s/he is on the lookout for someone to brush against!

Anonymous said...

It's fascinating that your Coi have such shark-like noses... subconscious? :: chuckling ::

Unknown said...

I have to laugh at this one! Fish? Not even big fish, but these cute little things? Aren't they adorable! I grew up swimming/skiing on Lake Houston. My biggest fears were the water moccasins and crocs!

This is very well done! ; )

nanke's stuff said...

Yes, the white one does look a tad sharkey! It never occurred to me that anyone would be afraid of little fish - they seem so harmless. I loved your story - creepy fish and all! LOL nancy

Carolina said...

Hi Ann!
I can see why you find fish creepy! But, sorry, couldn't help to smile when reading your post...
"Bad fishes!"

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh....you made me laugh. I don't want to swim with the fishies either.

Jennifer Rose said...

I love fish, if we had the space I would have a few. the Koi that look like they have human faces are really creepy though!

Connie said...

That story is tooooo good! I love it and I don't want to swim with fish either!

Teresa said...

I'm with you... I don't like fish either. Never wanted to own an aquarium, never found looking at fish "calm or relaxing". Slimy and smelly things! :-)

Nice painting, though!

Ann said...

Thanks everyone!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin