Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sketchbook Tuesday

Thank you to those who responded to my previous post about your favorite sketching tools. I find it fascinating just learning even a little about how other artists like to work.

Cathy Johnson's Artist's Journal class finishes this week. It has been an interesting journey and I am glad I decided to take part. Spending a dedicated amount of time focusing on one topic in a class setting is a marvelous way to accelerate your skills and creativity. The topic of this class, Keeping An Artist's Journal, also helped me define my goals for my art work. At just the right time too.

So here it is another Tuesday, another gouache landscape study. These are a fun and challenging way to plan a composition, looking at the placement of values and contrast. And they are a clue to what my new project is for the coming year. But you're going to have to wait a little while longer to find out exactly what that is all about. To help you wait here is a little sketch of Sammie. He's a very patient dog. Most of the time.

5 comments:

David R. Vallejo said...

Nice work. I can especially identify with the drawing of your dog Sammie since I have been sketching my dog quite a bit lately. It is a lot easier to get them down on paper when they are asleep. I like the combination of line and washes.

MrCachet said...

Do you do CATS?

Caroline said...

I have border collies; I'd be lucky for them to spend enough time for me to sketch them this well.
I love the waterway study. Lovely colour choice.

Peachtreeart said...

I love your little "Gouache" incidentals!

Anonymous said...

Ann: Wonderful gouache piece, and Sammie is charming. I missed your Dec 8 posting (at that Ted Nuttall workshop), but I loved wandering through your application of various medium to the same subject...each one with its own merits, and together very helpful learning for me. Thank you for sharing your journey.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin