Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sketchbook Tuesday - A new season

 I finished my winter sketchbook just in time for the Spring Equinox, and I really liked the completeness of that timing. I had plans for making a new sketchbook for spring, again using a recycled book for the cover, but when I added my embellishments to the cover and placed my text block inside the result did not make me happy. Not in the same way that my winter journal did.

 So I took it apart and started again, this time making the cover myself, following the directions in this book. The inside of this sketchbook I put together much the same way as my winter book, with a signature in the front and back for calendars and notes (this time using copy paper) and a pocket on the inside back cover. I used Canson Edition paper again for the main body of the book block, only this time choosing antique white, which is a little brighter and whiter than the vanilla color in my winter journal.
The fabric that I used for the cover is something I had in my fabric stash that felt cheerful for spring. And now, my new spring sketch journal does make me happy.

The sketches above are from photos that I took while on a short hike this past Saturday, the first real spring-like day we have had this year. The top sketch is with graphite, washes of neocolor II crayons, and colored pencil. The second is just graphite and neocolor II washes. And, as I noted on the second sketch, I have been under the weather these past few days with some sort of cold-like bug. In my foggy-headed-ness I have been playing around with this blog's header, trying to incorporate some of the elements that I had with the design of this new template. So you see what I have come up with. What do you think?

17 comments:

Gillian Mowbray said...

Your final sketch is is so soft and pretty - a fitting end to the winter.
I keep thinking about changing my blog somehow but it's scary! Yours looks so neat.

nanke's stuff said...

I love both of these. Your use of color is so delicate and captures the feeling of the place beautifully. nancy

DALowe Artist said...

These books are so great! I love that you finished on the first day of spring - how totally appropriate - out with the old, in with the new - I am so ready for warm sunshine!

Anonymous said...

Your sketch book is great! Easy to see how you hone your talent.
I really like your header. I'm always attracted to the simple message. Simple and elegant. Well done!

Alex said...

I love Tuesdays! Because I know that I'd be able to see Ann's drawings on Tuesdays. =) I can never have enough of the sketches and the freedom of expression through art like the ones you're doing.

Autumn Leaves said...

Gosh Ann. I just love your sketchbooks. Your pages and manner of drawing spot center between two pages is amazing. Each of these paintings is just wonderful, the colors so cheerful and reminding of the beautiful spring just around the corner. You've made my morning today!!

Laure Ferlita said...

Love the sketches with the white borders and like you, love the timing of closing one book at the end of winter.

Thanks for the link to the book as well!

Jennifer Rose said...

another lovely sketchbook :D I really need to get around to makeing one soon

the way you have the text angled like the birds works well on the header :)

Sandra said...

Seeing your artwork in its full colors as the banner says "you". I prefer more art and less lettering. Your journals are terrific.

Sketch Gurl said...

Your sketches speak volumes of the beauty of your sorroundings. I enjoy viewing them.

Unknown said...

I love your sketchbook entries! And that you bind your books to make you happy. I have so, so many commercial books half-started because something about each one makes me uncomfortable,whether the paper or the size or the orientation. How big did you make yours? I find that I like the bigger ones better, but they're not great for carrying.

Ramona Davidson said...

Good work on the art, the book, and the blog. You show your creativeness everywhere.

Gary Keimig said...

Keep up that sketchbook idea Ann. It can be so valuable. I have several artist friends who have real works of art with their sketchbooks. One, John Pitcher has got to be the #1 artist in the world with his. A good friend ofmine from Arizona does just marvelous things with her sketchbook and journal. She has been on a number of pack trips with me doing workshops and her sketchbook work is wonderful an dshe makes it so fun.

Timaree said...

Everything looks great. The header, the pages and the new journal. Glad you remade the journal. You definitely want to work in a book that makes you happy.

Ann said...

Thank you all for your kind comments! I appreciate the feedback on my new header too. I'm always so undecided about those sorts of things :-)

Raena, my sketchbook is about 5 x 8 inches. It's a size I like for carrying and it's not so big that I stress about drawing in it. But that's the cool thing about making your own, you can make it any size that you want!

Gary, thank you. yes, my sketchbooks have become a real habit LOL!

Anonymous said...

Your sketchbook page for winter is so soft and dreamy-lovely. The new sketchbook looks great and very Spring-y. It must be very satisfying to draw in and finish a book that you made from beginning to end.

Krista said...

What a great idea, a seasonal sketchbooks! And what good timing, too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin