Thursday, March 14, 2013

capturing the edge

Shoreline II
watercolor and gouache on cold pressed paper
5.5 x 7.5 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

This is what I worked on yesterday. I just can't leave alone all of those images I have collected of the surf. There is something about edges that fascinates me. Where water meets the land, or fields meet the tree line, the horizon line of sky and earth or sky and water. What started out with every intention to be a combination of drawing and watercolor became almost entirely watercolor once I had that loaded brush in my hand. And I managed to lose some of my white areas along the way but that was remedied with a little white gouache at the end.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Really gorgeous Ann. Lots of movement and texture. I can hear the crashing of the waves from here.

Debbie Nolan said...

Ann this is beautiful...your watercolors are stunning. You would never know you used gouache. Thanks so much for sharing.

Autumn Leaves said...

I love how you've captured all the colors in sand and water. So pretty!

Dan Kent said...

I love all of those colors!! This is a beautiful watercolor. And the action of the wave is superb! (I am in Miami, of course, so I know of what I speak!)

Hugh said...

Very Nice work.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin