Friday, October 25, 2013

it's about time

It is about time I posted to this blog. As I sit here looking at the snow outside my window it's hard to believe that just a week ago I was sitting at the table pictured above, listening to the warm ocean breeze rustle through the palm trees. We spent a few days at our favorite escape, Edisto Island, SC, and it was warm, it was sunny, and altogether very relaxing. And I did a bit of sketching in between ocean walks and enjoying wonderful meals of fresh fish. In addition to the palmettos, there was oleander blooming right outside our little rental cottage that I sketched in my journal.
From that same table you can get a glimpse of the ocean between the houses across the street. I love experiencing the color changes of the ocean and sky. I recorded the ocean and sky color once each day that we were there.
And shells, of course. Edisto Beach is famous for its shells. These were brought back and sketched at that same table. All of these sketches were done with watercolor only, in my handmade sketchbook.

4 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah Ann - absolutely beautiful...love the colors used for your Oleander...I don't think I have ever seen it blooming anywhere. I too love the ocean. When I travel there it is like I have moved to another place in the world. So beautiful. We too had a bit of snow last evening - nothing clung but it showed up to tell us it will be coming soon :)!!

Teresa Mallen said...

When I saw the plants outside the window, I thought what the heck, did Ann move to Florida? Gorgeous setting and gorgeous sketchs. Recording the colors of the ocean and the sky each day, ahhh, the soul of an artist. Thanks for sharing with us!

Autumn Leaves said...

Such beautiful pages in your journal, Ann! I love that you captured the sky each of the days you were at Edisto Beach. And you have snow already? Wow! We had a couple of flakes the other day, but nothing that landed.

Anonymous said...

Amazing shell paintings. So beautiful.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin