Monday, March 10, 2014

sketchbook :: quinacridone sampler

This past Saturday I picked up a little sampler set of American Journey Quinacridone colors, selected from the four sampler sets available at Cheap Joe's. Eager to play I began by making a chart of the colors included in the sampler. Then I experimented with a few mixes. (The colors aren't exactly accurate in this photo, the reds appear a little more violet than they actually are.) Next I tried a few mixes with my trusty Ultramarine Blue. I love that gray in the top mix of Ultramarine and Quin Sienna, and the green mixed from Ultramarine and Quin Gold Deep is very nice too.
Having done that it was time to try them out in a sketch. The late afternoon light on the hillside across the way as viewed from my dining table was perfect for playing with those vibrant and earthy Quinacridone colors. Again, I only added Ultramarine Blue to the mix for the greens and blue sky.
I currently have only one quinacridone in my palette, Quin Gold, which you can see I checked off on the chart. Having tried these samples I would now like to add one or two more, perhaps to replace current colors in my palette. The violets and reds are lovely, but I really do like the Sienna and Gold Deep for the mixing possibilities. 

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

You got a beautiful and colorful heading towards spring painting, Ann. I think your sketchbook looks awesome too!

Debbie Nolan said...

Ah Ann - those colors are really so lovely. I really love them and your sketch is beautiful as well. Happy painting friend...looks like you have a great view to inspire you.

Jennifer Rose said...

ooh lovely sketch, the colours are wonderful :) really nice sense of light to the sketch

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin