Thursday, August 25, 2016

where this road goes

Where This Road Goes
watercolor
10 x 14 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

I have been making larger paintings recently and really enjoying the freedom that a bigger composition provides. I find bigger brushes filled with watery pigment very satisfying somehow. This one is a quarter sheet size watercolor paper which makes for a longer format than what I typically would paint. And that creates challenges in the way I handle composition. A vertical format such as this allows for more distance, which is what I was hoping for with this scene. Far away mountains and a meadow at your feet. And those blue flowers? I don't know, except that they seemed the right sort of whimsy to add to the scene.

1 comment:

Jennifer Rose said...

I prefer using big brushes for watercolour, need a few bigger ones actually

really nice sense of big space in this :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin