Friday, November 4, 2016

Edisto series continued

Edisto II
mixed water media on paper
10 x 14 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

Here are two more paintings in my Edisto series, created with the same process as the first. After sketching in the composition with a watercolor pencil I lay in watercolor washes. Then I build up areas with more saturated watercolor, after which I apply watercolor gesso in selected areas. Then more washes and marks with Inktense pencils. I liked the simplicity of the composition in the painting above, and left a good deal of white paper exposed. This painting shows one of the many little cottages at Edisto beach.
Edisto III
mixed water media on paper
10 x 10 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

I am enjoying being able to use very saturated color and then push it back with the gesso. This process adds a dimension to the layering of pigment that watercolor alone cannot. And then restating areas with marks made with those wonderfully vibrant Inktense pencils is just fun! The painting above is inspired by the walk out to the beach at Botany Bay. I have read where the Botany Bay nature preserve sustained a good deal of damage from Hurricane Matthew and that it will be quite a long time before it will be open again.

2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I really like the tall longer layout of Edisto II. Not sure if it was intentional or not but it works well having different areas of the painting broken up into thirds on the paper, cottage, sand, then water (looks like water to me at least :) )

Ann said...

Thanks Jennifer! Yes, the composition was intentional and I'm happy that it reads the way I intended :-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin