Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Trees

Continuing my obsession with trees here are a couple of recent sketches from my sketchbook. Two views of the same spot in our yard, trying to capture that kaleidoscope feeling of the light filtering through the leaves. Neither one of these satisfies what I was after but I'll keep trying. I can't let go of this idea of painting trees just yet.
So my posting of sketches is a day late only because every time I turned on my computer yesterday another thundershower popped up and off went my computer again. By the time things had settled down last night I was engrossed in reading about trees, more feeding of my obsession.

There is always Music amongst the trees in the Garden, 
but our hearts must be very quiet to hear it.

-Minnie Aumonier

13 comments:

Kathleen said...

Ann your trees are lovely I had to give my self a break from trees but I am starting to plan another angle of attack and try again

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And your color palette is very interesting. Storms aplenty here too. I look forward to more trees!

Jennifer Rose said...

really like the shadows in the second one, very moody looking even tho thats not the look you were going for :)
done with marker?

Teresa said...

I particularly like the 2nd painting... and love the quote. I'm finding out that I need a lot more practice on trees, foliage and all kinds of greenery - tricky stuff!

padmaja said...

Trees have always been tricky for me. I would be very happy if I could get this wonderful effect that you achieved with both the works! Looks very poetic to me with that gentle light seeping through all over.

Gillian Mowbray said...

What lovely paintings. I like the summeriness of the bright colours.

Autumn Leaves said...

Both images are truly beautiful, Ann. I love the hints of distant trees, the misty trunks...The spring colors are gorgeous. I so wish I could do what you do with paint!

Alex said...

The colors are fantastic Ann! And they are so easily identifiable as they've got your signature all over.
I really like the strong contrasts on these, very vivid and vibrant

K said...

Oh yes, more trees, we love them! I love the vibrant palette you used here too. Can I just move in with you and you can mentor me on how to paint trees since you do it so well? I'll help pay for food. :)

Casey said...

Your greens are magnificent. Really nice sketches!

Ann said...

Thanks everyone!
Jennifer, it does look like marker on that second one but it's really just my overworked watercolor!
Krista, come on down!

K said...

Better yet, let me know next time you're visiting "up north". My in-laws are only about two hours north of your folks. Maybe we can meet halfway sometime!

Keith said...

The colours of these are superb. So strong and vibrant. UndenIable. Especially the second painting. That shadow is so vivd. Delicious.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin