Friday, June 3, 2011

Let's Draw a Pear! - the final steps

This post concludes the tutorial, Let's Draw a Pear! with the final steps, 6 & 7.

Step Six : Using a kneaded eraser as a drawing tool to create texture
Now you are going to create the textured surface of the pear. Make your kneaded eraser into a pointed shape as shown in the photo above. Dab at areas to make spots where there are dots on the pear. You will probably need to keep reshaping the point on your eraser as it fills up with lifted colored pencil pigment. Your dots don’t have to be perfect.  In fact, the irregularities will better mimic the actual spots on the pear. (Notice that I place a scrap piece of tracing paper under my hand to avoid smudging the drawing.)


Also dab at the edges of the white highlighted shapes in order to soften and create irregular edges.


Next, fill in some of the dabbed out dots with Light Yellow Ochre or Brown Ochre to create the dots on the pear. Use Burnt Umber for the dots in the darkest areas.

Step Seven :  Putting the final touches on the drawing
Dab at the dots again in a random fashion, less carefully this time. This will make them more irregular in shape and tone. Then go over the entire area of yellow, except for the white highlights, with Cadmium Yellow Lemon. This will help set the textured dots into place. If a dot seems too big or misplaced, continue dabbing to lift pigment and then filling back in with yellow. If the dots you want to adjust are in the red areas, use the same process but fill back in with Light Cadmium Red.


Congratulations! You have now drawn a pear in colored pencil! Thank you for following along with my colored pencil process. I hope that you have found this tutorial helpful and that you will be able to use some of these tips, from photographing your subject to completing a colored pencil drawing, in your own art work.
 ________________________
If you would like to give the drawing a try yourself, please let me know in the comments with a link to where you are posting your results. I would love to follow along with your progress too! 

Also, don't forget that if you would prefer to work from a paper copy of the tutorial you can visit my Tutorial page here on this blog and follow the links to a free PDF file that you may download for yourself.
________________________ 
Something that I learned while putting together this tutorial is that I don't tend to work in such methodical steps. My drawing process involves much more back and forth, a little here and there, jumping from one area to another. So it was a bit of a challenge for me to try to sort out the process into stages that would make sense to someone else! Which made for a good learning experience for me to really examine what it is that I am doing when I draw. Hopefully it is helpful for you too!

11 comments:

Timaree said...

I've got my pear in it's early stages posted on my blog. I am getting ready to add the red and orange now.

Autumn Leaves said...

I'm going to try this soon myself, though I'll have to draw the pear first on my own. I'll pick it up from the colored pencil stage. Looking forward to doing this next (after I finish a piece I just started in colored pencil). Your pear is just flawless, Ann!

Alex said...

Awesome! =) Thanks for sharing your technique Ann(wouldn't be surprised if these are part of materials for publishing your book on how to draw....so where can I get one?)

Timaree said...

So I've got the red and orange added to my pear here.

I did go back and make more layers as you suggested before and after adding the orange and reds. Hopefully I didn't fill up the tooth - I forgot there was more color to add in forward steps.

Jennifer Rose said...

nicely done tutorial :)

I found the same when I do tuts for people. I tend to jump around when drawing so having specific steps for people to follow can be hard to figure out sometimes.

Cathy Holtom said...

As I read the tutorial I was thinking how organised you are, I was glad to read that you jump from one area to another too! Excellent tutorial Ann.

kazumiwannabe said...

Great drawing, and great tuto! Thank you and well done!

Timaree said...

I'm all done! Check it out here.

Valary said...

I hope you continue with these types of posts. You have such a wealth of knowledge and talent and the ability to communicate your process so clearly. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing what you tackle next.

debra morris said...

Wish I'd seen this before I painted pears....great Ann!

Ann said...

Thanks everyone! I am glad that you all enjoyed these tutorial posts.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin