Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sketchbook Tuesday :: Thyme and synchronicity

Kiddo will be finishing up her 7th grade materials next week, and I have been pondering just what to have her work on over the summer. From experience I know that math must be continued without much of a break, otherwise too much is lost. We don't like spending a whole lot of time in review. But what else, if anything? While debating this homeschooling issue I came across this site, and ordered a couple of books. Their book for tweens seemed perfect. Kiddo and I can experiment with herbal remedies while tending my neglected herb garden this summer. Add in trips to the local farmers' market and we can be brewing up lip balms and cooking with herbal oils and butters all summer. She likes the idea of working with plants, especially in the kitchen, and is fascinated by the few stories I have of a great, great grandmother who was reportedly knowledgeable in herbal remedies. We have already begun by picking up a few herb plants and seeds to grow in pots, in order to supplement the few plants in my herb garden. But here's the synchronicity part. While planning all of this out, I spotted an ad for a book signing at a local  market. The book? The Essential Herbal for Natural Health. But what also caught my eye was that the author, Holly Bellebuono, used to live here and was a member of our little homeschool group! So with my new collection of reading material, and a few plants and seeds, we now have a summer homeschool curriculum in place.

9 comments:

Laure Ferlita said...

How fun and what fabulous timing!! Lovely sketch as well.

Vicki Holdwick said...

Serendipitous, indeed! I love it when things work out like this,

xoxo

nanke's stuff said...

Your summer will be fantastic! It sounds like so much fun, and I love the synchronicity of it all. I also love the little painting of the thyme. nancy

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I made an ointment from marigolds and another from comfrey and both have proved very useful. Lovely sketch to set thing off!

Autumn Leaves said...

I think you and your daughter are so very blessed to have this homeschooling program working and working so well. Quite honestly, if I hadn't been a single mom, I'd have loved to have homeschooled my kids too. Unfortunately I had to work but they still got an awesome education in a private Christian school.

Your summer curriculum sounds awesome and oh so much fun!!

kazumiwannabe said...

Great drawing! I love those synchronicity moments, always amazing and magical!

Jennifer Rose said...

doesn't sound like it will be a boring summer at all, lots of neat and interesting things to do.

Teresa said...

Sounds like a wonderful plan for summer. Kiddo is very fortunate to have a Mom like you.

Melliott said...

Fun recipe for growing and making: Grow some chives, wait until they bloom (purple thistle-like puff-balls), and then cut the blooms, wash them, and put them into an empty (sterilized) bottle. Cover with white wine vinegar and put into a dark cupboard for about a week. The purple chives turn the vinegar a bright shocking pink, and it has a gentle oniony flavor.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin