Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Garlic

Garlic
watercolor
6 x 6 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

I rarely cook a meal that doesn't include garlic. And I cook a lot so we go through quite a bit of garlic at our house. Very humble in appearance yet so full of healthy goodness. The challenge with this was how to paint a white,or nearly white object and still have the contrast and color that I love. I began by painting around the garlic, to determine where the darkest shadows would be and define those papery edges. After that, it was easier to find the values that I saw within the garlic itself.  It's a bit of a departure for me in terms of color, which also made this a fun subject for me to paint.

1 comment:

Timaree said...

It looks like the sunshine is falling on it. You did a super job on this humble bulb!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin