Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I wish I was there right now

Before Dawn - work in progress
colored pencil on pastel board
8 x 10 inches
© 2008 Ann Thompson Nemcosky


This is what I sat down and worked on this evening. It's an image from one of our trips this past spring to the beach. It felt good to just draw with colored pencils. No underpainting. No establishing values and working out a color palette. Just begin. I think I have really needed to do something that wasn't an experiment in media or technique, something familiar and comfortable feels better right now. Looking at it here on the screen I can see where I do need to make some adjustments - like straighten that horizon. But maybe all that stumbling around experimenting with my art process has its rewards in that this is going rather rather quickly. Maybe there is an influence from doing all those works in pastel too. However it is, here is the first stage of what I hope will soon be a finished piece.

On another note, I have a blog for you all to check out. Billy Fowler's Sweaty Buffalo. We stopped in at Cheap Joe's this evening, where Billy works and is a former student of hubby's. We talked blogs and selling art on line. He's a great guy and you will enjoy seeing his work, I'm sure.

11 comments:

Deb said...

This is already beautiful! I thought at first it was a photo.
I would go broke if I lived that close to Cheap Joes!!! A 2 1/2 hour drive saves me *G*

Linda T said...

Wow, this is going to be terrific. It already is stunning.

Stephanie said...

wow! I'm loving it so far. the colors are perfect! and it is nice to sit down and just do art! and have to be scientific about it. :) cheers!

Stephanie the never scientific about art person...

kazumiwannabe said...

Wow! I thought it was a photo too at first! It's already awesome!

Anonymous said...

Ann,
This is a beautiful piece - freshly back from our beach vacation, it transports me back in an instant. The sky, the water, the sand - all really lovely. I will foolow with interest although I can't imagine what still needs work.

Jennifer Rose said...

gorgeous colours! Reminds me a lot of a sunset on the lake and sitting around relaxing on a summer day

MaryO said...

Lovely and serene! Increases my anticipation of going to the beach with my daughter's family next month. I'll look forward to seeing this one when you finish!

hbedrosian said...

The colors are beautiful, and the light on the ocean is very well done. I am looking forward to seeing the final piece.

Alan said...

My vote is to hang out here too.

Gillian Mowbray said...

Oh yes, you've captured that beautifully. I'll look forward to seing the finished piece. You've also outlined what is so darned good about using colour pencils!

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I've been using Daler-Rowney 'Langton' extra-smooth HP paper. x

Ann said...

Thanks everyone!
Gillian, thanks for mentioning the paper too. I looked for it but seems it's not available in the US.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin