Saturday, July 5, 2008

Something Red

It has been a while since I posted drawing challenges from the Everyday Matters group. And that's because I've been busy with other work and took a vacation and ahem ahem, you know, other stuff. Excuses, I know. But today I got out my hand.book journal and the watercolors and just had fun working on some of the drawing challenges I have missed lately. The challenge this week, #178, was to draw something red. These strawberries are from today's trip to the grocery - they were on special.
This is for challenge #174, Draw a basket and what it holds. This is a sea grass basket that hubby and I bought at Edisto Island, South Carolina, at least 15 years ago. At the time it seemed expensive for just a basket, even though hand made locally, but I knew then that this was an art form with a rich history. Sea grass baskets this size now sell for at least three times as much. This basket holds a wealth of good memories.
Here is my challenge #174, Draw a bridge. This is the Linn Cove Viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway that snakes around Grandfather Mountain. We are not too far from this bridge, a local landmark. This is the only challenge that I have done from a photograph as my goal with these is to improve my skills drawing from life. But I am also trying to learn to use watercolor for sketching. I am currently going through the tutorials in Cathy Johnson's book, First Steps Series, Painting Watercolors. I have a way to go but still thought it would be fun to try some EDM challenges in watercolor as further practice.
And lastly, here is challenge #5, Draw your bed. For this I used a black gel pen and Pitt brush pens. I'd like to try more sketches this way. It was an immediate way to respond to the drawing. And yes, I rarely make my bed. It has a duvet cover so really it's just a matter of straightening it out but I hardly ever do that. And that is my little stuffed dog on the pillow. Kiddo gave him to me a few years back and he's slept on the bed there ever since.

13 comments:

kazumiwannabe said...

The strawberries and basket are very beautiful. The messy bed is great too. Love its colors and the little stuffed dog!
Is there a particular reason/use for the shape of the basket?

Lin said...

BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL sketches!!! I especially love the bridge -- I've been over it so many times -- and just applaud the incredible jobyou did on perspective there!!! Super work!

Anonymous said...

These are really lovely - and the bridge painting shows beautiful watercolor painting!

Luba said...

Great sketches and paintings. You are doing very well with watercolor! Love the bed, too!

Anonymous said...

Luscious strawberries

Anonymous said...

The strawberries are just LUMINOUS.
Fantastic. I also very much like the drawing of your bed. It's got a lovely loose look to it. The Blue Ridge Parkway is watercolour, is it? It's really vivid. I thought at first, maybe Tombow pens.

Alan said...

Love the strawberries. Didn't make it to the farmer's market this week to get any. Busy trying to take out rasberrys that are being very naughty taking over the back corner of the yard. A nice pair of welding gloves work just fine for the job.

Anetka said...

I love the bed sketch!!! so quick, few colours but looks beautiful:)))

Lynn said...

Wow, the strawberries are exquisite! The colors are so vibrant and rich, and the shadows are beautiful.

Ann said...

Thanks everyone! You all are very encouraging:) I don't know what that shape basket is intended to be used for but we keep it hanging on our wall as art. Yes, the strawberries are tasty - my watercolor looks a little better on the screen than in my sketchbook-I appreciate all the kind comments!

Elflling said...

I love these drawing challenges! I printed them out and showed to my sketch buddy and we did a couple during the July 4th weekend. They are very good exercises and please keep on posting these little gems as well as your beautiful examples!

Deb said...

I just love your art!!! The Parkway scene is especially beautiful! I'm so glad you visited my blog, cuz that helped me discover yours!

Timaree said...

Love your drawings. If I can only do so well on my bed drawing when I get to it I'll be very happy indeed.

Where and how do you add the EDM button on your sidebar. I'd like one too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin