Sunday, February 20, 2011

Just a peek

This is what's on my drawing board now, the start of another colored pencil drawing. Can you even make out what the subject is? Maybe not. This is about two hours into the drawing, where I mapped in most of the basic shapes in graphite and then began working in colored pencil. I quickly realized that I needed to do some basic mapping with color or else I risked getting seriously lost in the drawing. I am not doing an "under painting" this time as I want to maintain the sparkle of the white board showing through the colors, to keep them as brilliant as possible. After I got all of my blue shapes mapped in I began rendering from the top. Still a long way to go. This one is a little larger than what I have been working recently at approximately 7.5 x 9.5 inches. Should be fun though.

14 comments:

Antonio Machado said...

Beautiful work!
congratulations

Unknown said...

Fantastic - really love it.

Stew. (ElasticUnicorn)

winna said...

I'd enjoy seeing this as you work...looks like water but I could be wrong..looking good !

debra morris said...

Looks like my favorite place, the sea
Makes me want to dive in already. Looking forward to seeing it finished

Unknown said...

It's going to be beautiful. I like your idea of not underpainting as tradition would dictate. Go with your own instincts about the white showing through. Thats the beauty of colored pencil, the transparency. I'm going to check back often!

Barbara B said...

I think it looks like the ocean. I love the effects that you are getting with colored pencil and the idea of the white coming through, sort of like watercolor.

Autumn Leaves said...

Gorgeous seas and I almost think I saw a dolphin just behind the wave...It is looking beautiful, Ann!!

Cathy Holtom said...

I want to see more! It looks like something swimming in the sea?

Anonymous said...

How exciting is this going to be! This is better than watching a movie unfold.

Unknown said...

I think it looks like the ocean, with a little shoreline showing at the bottom. It's looking good so far!

Alex said...

Definitely looks like ocean yes. It's always nice to look at work in progress, but this is so much more interesting. I know it appears that you work from top to bottom, I really like how the 'almost finished' parts are met with the drafts...

Libellule said...

thanks for sharing your explanations of steps in your creation process. it is fascinating!

it reminds me of the foam on the shore with waves behind ... at nightfall... also movements of whirlpools. peaceful but strong energy

Ann said...

I love all of your comments - thank you!

nanke's stuff said...

Sorry I'm so far behind, but this is going to be spectacular! nancy

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin