Friday, July 5, 2013

summer blooms

Flowers at the Farmers' Market
watercolor on cold pressed paper
10.5 x 13.5 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

As you can see, I have painted another scene inspired by our local farmers' market. I am enjoying exploring these compositions with watercolor paint, trying to capture the festive arrays that the sellers display. Of course, there is so much happening in each scene that I end up editing out a good deal in an attempt to get to the essence of what attracted me to the composition in the first place. In this case, it was the variety of blooms punctuated by the three white containers that provided a frame for the lettuce seller in the background. I have purchased an awful lot of lettuce from him through the years. It's a taste of summertime.

8 comments:

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

stunning, remarkable, extraordinary, staggering, incredible, outstanding, amazing, astonishing, marvelous, phenomenal, splendid - everything I could find in Thesaurus :) plus more for this beauty of a piece!

Polly Birchall said...

I love these market scenes of yours

Autumn Leaves said...

Such a beautiful painting, Ann! I do so love these glorious bunches of wildflowers!! And do you know I never buy a bunch of flowers? They just die so quickly! Anyway, I do like the way those white vases anchor this piece. Rather a unique composition that just works beautifully.

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Love farmers markets and you really captured the feeling of a great one, I can almost smell heavenly scent of the flowers and hear the sounds of a great outdoor market. Lovely colours and light.

Jennifer Rose said...

you are insane ;)

amazing work! :D

Debbie Nolan said...

Ann - this is stunning...love the colors and the composition. You certainly took me with you to this farmer's market with your painting. Beautiful.

Jennifer Edwards said...

Ann, I've been meaning to tell you that these last two watercolor paintings are just lovely! Oh and the foxgloves too! I would think they would sell to folks in the high country in no time! Beautiful work!

Dan Kent said...

Wow!! There is so much here and it reads so well! Excellent!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin