Friday, August 10, 2007

Sentimental Souvenirs


This











did this!










Looks pretty innocent, doesn't he? Who can resist that sweet face! But wait, notice the chewed hole in the top of the cap and the teeth indentations on the brim. (OK, they look HUGE in real life!) Our just 1 year old springer enjoyed himself while we were out today. Or maybe not. Perhaps he was angry that he didn't get to come along. This cap was a souvenir of mine from Cape Hatteras, NC. It's funny how some objects hold special meaning to me. An object of otherwise little value can carry great importance for it's ability to conjure up memories of a certain time or place. This cap did that for me. So do images of landscapes. Which is why, I suppose, I am always drawn to creating landscape images in my art. They become a kind of souvenir of that place, that time.

I enjoyed pursuing the flower imagery that I showed in previous posts but felt it time to get back to some landscapes. I returned to an image I have visited often, in various media, and used it to
experiment with a method of using colored pencil over a wash of Neocolor crayons. The place is Thunder Hill, one of my very favorite spots on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was pleased with the
saturated color the Neocolors provided once the colored pencil was layered over top.









Thunder Hill

7" x 5" colored pencil and Neocolor on pastel board
copyright 2007 by Ann Thompson Nemcosky
$50.


And if anyone is going by Frisco on Hatteras Island, would you mind picking up another Cape Hatteras baseball cap for me? Thanks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin