Monday, December 28, 2015

12 in 15

As a review of the year this post is a selection of twelve works I have completed in 2015. I actually had a fairly busy year creating approximately 48 paintings, not counting the ones that went into the bin. I often feel that my work is going in several directions at once, not that it's a bad thing, but it is helpful to take some time to review where I have been and assess where I'd like to go next. I was inspired to choose twelve for this review by artist Jeanette Jobson and her recent 12 in 15 post. They are listed here in order of creation, not by preference. I would love to know which are your favorites and why.

Sea Souvenirs
watercolor
6 x 12 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
Ocean Dreams V
watercolor
8 x 8 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
Dreaming of the Sea
watercolor
6 x 12 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
available from the artist
Market Sunflowers
watercolor
11 x 14 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
sold
Calloway Gap
watercolor
8 x 10 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
Tide Rising
watercolor
12 x 12 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
available from the artist
Midsummer
watercolor
8 x 10 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
Endive Basket
watercolor
8 x 8 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
Sunflower Play
watercolor
11 x 14 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
sold
Gathering Season
watercolor
11 x 14 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
Autumn Spirit
watercolor
11 x 14 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky
Landscape Study III
watercolor
6 x 6 inches
©Ann Thompson Nemcosky

8 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

all are really good, but I would say.. Tide Rising here is my favorite. I think its the colours and how much energy it has :)

E.M. Corsa said...

I too love Tide Rising along with Gathering of Season, Endive Basket and Landscape Study III. I'm all about the composition and to me, these are the strongest, pulling me in and not letting me leave. And you color use ... Love them!

Ann said...

Thanks Jennifer! Yes, Tide Rising was a pivotal piece for me. It was the result of a happy accident, which definitely added to the energy!

Ann said...

Thank you Elizabeth! I am very conscious of composition when planning my paintings as strong compositions are something I strive for. And yes, color, they are all about color for me, which becomes a compositional element too.

Laure Ferlita said...

Wow, Ann, you've had a great year, art wise! Picking favorites is never an easy thing. I will say that Sea Souvenirs stood out to me for the color harmony and serenity it embodies while Market Sunflowers and Midsummer both glow with an internal fire. I also like the heat of Endive Basket...but favorite? Nah, not going there! May 2016 be the very best for you and yours!

Ann said...

Thank you Laure! Yes, I find that I have something I like about each but for different reasons too. And each painting teaches me something that I hope to carry on to the next. And that glow from the clarity of watercolor pigment is something that does keep me engaged with this media. Hoping you enjoy a wonderful new year too Laure!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Its a bit like being asked to choose a favourite child isn't it? They all have their personalities and appeal.

I do love Sea Souvenirs for the shapes and colours. You did a beautiful job with these shells. My second favourite is Ocean Dreams V. That crest of the wave jusssssssssst about to topple makes me want to put my hand under it and catch it. :)

Happy New Year Ann and to many more of your beautiful paintings.

Ann said...

Thank you Jeanette! Yes, watching the movement and action of the tides never ceases to captivate my interest, waiting for that perfect wave. And they are fun to paint! And a very happy new year to you too!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin