Thursday, June 11, 2009

Not music yet

Tree Bark
watercolor pencil on arches hp
4.5 x 6 inches


So, I am still very involved with Kate's Watercolor Pencil Workshop and busy completing all of the exercises and homework assignments. This bark study was done for one of the exercises. When our daily summer thundershowers prevented me from observing a tree or two in our yard I went through my recent photos from our trip and found this image of a tree. Yes, I am that kind of tourist, photographing the bark of some unknown tree because it looks interesting to me. Besides, who knows when I might want a reference of interesting tree bark? Good thing, too, because it already came in handy for my class work.

Playing with these watercolor pencils reminded me of a story about my musically gifted nephew. It seems he was given a trumpet to learn for the school band when he was about middle school age or so. His dad told me that when he first came home with the trumpet it was nothing but noise for about three days. Sometime around the fourth day of my nephew practicing his trumpet, there was suddenly music. I have quite a few lessons yet to do with this watercolor pencil class. I'm still just making noise, but hopefully I'll eventually I'll find the music.

9 comments:

Donn said...

Wow, this is really beautiful. Great work with the wc pencils.

JJ said...

What a great drawing! Very nice work.

Carolina said...

Oh, Ann, I think music is already there!

Jennifer Rose said...

I play the odd tourist too, taking pictures of everything :p

great rough texture to the bark and really nice lighting :)

Mary Timme said...

Well thank heavens someone else does photos like that, too. I'm for ever taking stuff because it looks interesting.

Timaree said...

You are already making the music!

Alex said...

Great texture and feel of it. Love the contrasts, and soft green used here :)

kazumiwannabe said...

Beautiful! I want to try drawing bark, too. Love your lemon, below, fantastic coloring, and the shells are wonderful, so delicate!

Pamela said...

One of your class mates....you are making music.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin